Re: how to correctly link a python extension ?

* Vincent Danjean <vdanjean@debian.org>, 2011-09-05, 09:42:
One of my package is building a python extension (with swig). I would like to know what is the right way to find the correct linkage for a python version. My package is using "python-configX.Y --libs", so -lpythonX.Y is added.

Your package is wrong. The python-config script is for linking the interpreter into a binary, not for building extensions.

Extensions must not link to libpython by themselves.

Thanks. I will correct this in my package and report upstream.

Just to clarify: "Extensions must not link to libpython by themselves" is true for Debian but not necessarily for other distributions.

--
Jakub Wilk