Re: Some thoughts about py{support,central} -> dh_python2 conversion

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 00:15:38 +0100, Javi Merino wrote:

> On 07/08/11 21:29, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > If you can't resist the urge to convert your packages from
> > python-support to dh_python2, then please at least:
> >
> > 1) Test your packages. Don't assume that the helper you use does the
> > right thing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
> >
> > 2) Do not skip the "Before you begin"[0] step. This is very important:
> > if two packages share a namespace, either both or none of them must use
> > python-support. Also, it's not enough just to convert them all to
> > dh_python2: you must make sure (using Breaks or Depends relationships)
> > that you cannot co-install an older python-support-based versions
> > together with dh_python2-based ones.
> >
> > I set up a page to track this kinds of issues in unstable[2] and
> > testing[3]. Please note that I analyse only package contents, not
> > relationships. The tracker is updated daily. (Any volunteers to file bugs?)
>
> After breaking the hgext namespace with mercurial-1.9.1-1, I've filed
> bugs against hgsubversion[0], hgview[1] and qct[2].
>
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=637399
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=637400
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=637401

Is there any sane way we can make mercurial backports work after this?
I.e. I'd like to be able to have mercurial 1.9.x in squeeze-backports
(probably using pysupport?), without breaking stuff too badly.

Cheers,
Julien
--
Julien Cristau          <julien.cristau@logilab.fr>