Re: Python 3 BoF at DebConf11

Thanks for the update Piotr!  I wish I could have made it, but it conflicted
with family vacations.

On Aug 08, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>At DebConf11 in Banja Luka, we had a short discussion¹ about Python 3
>support in Debian. Apparently everything is very good, nobody
>complained², no feature request for dh_python3... so I talked a little
>bit about PEP 3147, PEP 3149, new and shiny PEP 402 and about status of
>py3multibuild GSoC project (which already supports more build systems
>than dh/cdbs, Mesutcan is working on integrating it with CDBS/dh
>sequencer now).

Fantastic!  I really wish I could have made more progress with Python 3
porting during the current Ubuntu cycle, but the dh_python2 transition was
just an enormous amount of work.  We're down to the wire though - not
everything converted, but we will be eliminating python-support and
python-central from our CD/DVD images.  Lots of patches submitted to Debian
too, and I've seen many positive responses from the package maintainers.

Anyway, with that task done, I do want to return to Python 3 work.  I'm really
glad to hear about py3multibuild progress.  How can I begin to play with on my
Wheezy systems now?  (maybe start by reading up on it again ;).

>We discussed /usr/bin/python2 symlink issue shortly and we all agreed
>that we don't want Debian to use it (should helpers change shebangs back
>to /usr/bin/python? Should lintian warn about it?) although we might
>want to ship it with Wheezy to follow other distributions³.

I definitely don't think we should do anything until and unless PEP 394 gets
accepted.

>/usr/bin/python will point to Python 2 in Debian for a while (Wheezy and
>Wheezy+1 for sure). /usr/bin/python3 might point to python3.3 instead of
>3.2, though. Python 3.3 should be released short after Wheezy freeze,
>but we'll have RC releases in unstable before the freeze and it could be
>possible to replace 3.2 with 3.3 in supported Python 3 versions (but
>that's something we'll consider later, after checking how much work is
>needed for the transition).

Should we consider supporting both 3.2 and 3.3 in Wheezy?  It's much easier
for us to do that now. :)

>The good news is that Andreas will port britney⁴ to Python 3 really soon
>now (but I might misunderstood something, as usual ;-)
>
>Anyway, it should be a lot easier to add python3-* packages in 1-2
>months (py3build will be integrated in python3-defaults package and
>dh_python3 will get some improvements).

\o/

-Barry