Bits from the Sphinx maintainer

* Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>, 2011-05-20, 22:09:
I'm pondering on implementing further changes in python-sphinx that would allow us to fix this kind of breakage more easily in the future. I'll write a separate mail about this... some day. ;)

In python-sphinx 1.0.7+dfsg-1 I made a few important changes:

1) There is now an integration test suite run at build time, which verifies that Sphinx JavaScript code still works.

2) The JavaScript code has been moved into a separate package, libjs-sphinxdoc.

3) There is a new helper tool, dh_sphinxdoc, which helps with packaging Sphinx-generated documentation. More specifically: - it does a few sanity checks (e.g. for missing files that are needed for the JavaScript to work);
- it replaces known *.js files with symlinks to files to
/usr/share/javascript/sphinxdoc/ and generates ${sphinxdoc:Depends}
substitution variable;
- removes some cruft (.doctree/, .buildinfo).

If your package builds documentation using Sphinx, I highly recommend you to stop creating jquery.js symlink with dh_link (or such) and use dh_sphinxdoc instead. This is the only future-proof way to have fully-functional, policy compliant package with Sphinx-built documentation.

--
Jakub Wilk