Re: restarting processes when python libraries are upgraded?

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:51:30AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since python doesn't keep .py files open its hard to use things like
> checkrestart to find out which servers to restart when upgrading a
> python library for security updates. I wonder if a dpkg triggers based
> mechanism could perform this function. Any thoughts?

Havn't looked deeply at all, but perhaps the right level to do something
like this is an import hook [1]. It could probably write to some
datastructure when files are imported or even just open (and keep open)
the imported file so checkrestart works unchanged.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0302/

--
Brian Sutherland