Problems with python-central+cdbs -> dh_python2+cdbs

I'm having some trouble with the instructions on converting from
python-central to dh_python2 while retaining cdbs.

http://wiki.debian.org/Python/PyCentral2DhPython2

I see that Steve just added another hint, but that didn't help me much.  I'm
proofing the instructions with lp:ubuntu-system-services but I see that Martin
Pitt completed the conversion of that package while I was asleep. ;)

Now, Martin did exactly how I was able to successfully convert the package,
but that entailed *also* converting from cdbs to dh7.  In my experience,
those two go hand-in-hand, and in fact it's usually pretty easy and successful
to convert to dh_python2+dh7.  The problem I've had is with *just* converting
to dh_python2 but keeping cdbs.  I think the instructions on the wiki page are
not complete, or not correct.

When I look at the resulting package contents, the dh_python2+cdbs version is
woefully lacking.  It doesn't contain any pyshared or UbuntuSystemServices
package.  Even adding

DEB_PYTHON2_MODULE_PACKAGES="UbuntuSystemService"

(taken from setup.py) doesn't give me the proper package contents.

I understand that it is more to ask of package maintainers to change build
systems at the same time they're changing helpers, but at this point I don't
know what else to recommend.  Maybe I don't understand Steve's additional
recommendation for debian/rules.

Any suggestions are welcome.  Or, if you have an example diff showing the
conversion of a python-central+cdbs package to dh_python2+cdbs, I would love
to see it.

Thanks,
-Barry