Re: E: dh_python2:146: you most probably have to build extension for python2.5.

* Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rousseau@gmail.com>, 2011-03-10, 21:41:
My package provides a binary extension so must be compiled for each supported Python versions: 2.5 and 2.6 as of now.

...your new debian/rules does *not* compile extensions for all supported versions. (The old one did.)

And dh is not (yet) smart enough to do that for me?

The upstream tarball contains both setup.py and Makefile. In such a case dh uses Makefile-based build system. And then, it cannot possibly know that the Makefile has anything to do with Python.

Passing --buildsystem=python_distutils to dh might do the trick.

--
Jakub Wilk