Re: ${python:Breaks}

On Mar 10, 2011, at 04:12 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:

>Le jeudi 10 mars 2011 à 09:00 -0500, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
>> The upstream Python position is (I'll paraphrase), "There will not be
>> a Python 2.8. If there is a new feature release of Python 2 it will be
>> because someone forked it - it's Free software, so we can't prevent
>> that".
>>
>> There are a lot of things we need to worry about in the Debian Python
>> world, but I don't think python2.8 is one of them.
>
>Now consider that many applications do not support Python micro versions
>being > 9. This means that if Python 2.7.9 ever needs to be updated, it
>will be to 2.8.0.

It's true that Guido does not like '10' in version numbers.  He famously said
there will never be a Python 2.10.  It's also true that Python 2.7 will live
longer than a normal Python 2 release.  But I'm fairly certain that if there's
ever a micro release > 2.7.9, it'll be called 2.7.10 rather than 2.8 (2.7.A?
naw, that's crazy talk:).

Applications that can't handle the two digit micro version number have plenty
of time to fix that particular bug. <wink>

-Barry