Re: ${python:Breaks}

On Thursday, March 10, 2011 06:15:01 am Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

> > seriously, THERE WILL BE NO NEW PYTHON 2.X VERSION RELEASED UPSTREAM¹,

> > we don't have to worry about 2.X transitions when 2.7 will become the

> > only supported one. If you don't like Breaks, I will remove it, it

> > really doesn't matter - that's why at the beginning I wasn't generating

> > either of these dependencies (in Depends and in Breaks).

> Well, if upstream changes their plans it will to late to fix the

> dependencies...

The upstream Python position is (I'll paraphrase), "There will not be a Python 2.8. If there is a new feature release of Python 2 it will be because someone forked it - it's Free software, so we can't prevent that".

There are a lot of things we need to worry about in the Debian Python world, but I don't think python2.8 is one of them.

Scott K