Re: shebang lines for Python scripts

> It's also unnecessary for distros because we should know exactly which version
> of Python our scripts work with.  And finally, setuptools will rewrite the
> shebang line when it installs scripts (FSVO 'setuptools' ;).

FTR, that’s actually done by the distutils build_scripts command.
Relevant extract from the docs:

    Scripts don’t require Distutils to do anything very complicated.
    The only clever feature is that if the first line of the script
    starts with #! and contains the word “python”, the Distutils will
    adjust the first line to refer to the current interpreter location.
    By default, it is replaced with the current interpreter location.
    The --executable (or -e) option will allow the interpreter path to
    be explicitly overridden.

http://docs.python.org/dev/distutils/setupscript#installing-scripts

(A bit of missing info in the doc: The --executable option is on the
build and build_scripts command.)

Regards