Re: Switching to git

On 03/06/2011 12:12 PM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There  was some discussions  about switching  from SVN  to git.  I don't
> remember everything but  a major blocker was that it  is not possible to
> checkout a subtree with git and  managing a lot of git repositories will
> make it difficult to do global changes to the "global" repository.
>
> There is currently a discussion in debian-devel about how to switch from
> SVN to git and they seem to use "mr".

There are two things we need for the repositories:
- we need to keep svn support. Not everybody is happy to migrate.
- there needs to be a sane migration path without a mess. Extra points
if there is a script I just need to run and it tells me which of my svn
checkouts I should not use anymore as it is in git now.
- Migrating a package should be painfree and easy.

If you provide some well tested scripts which handle all these things
sanely I could imagine that nobody would complain about a migration to git.

 GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F