Re: Switching to git

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> > > There  was some discussions  about switching  from SVN  to git.
> CPython just switched to mercurial.

And Cython just switched from mercurial to GIT, having previousely
switched got HG from SVN IIRC... may be that is a logical generic
roadwork? ;)

> Mercurial works well with multiple repositories (subrepo extension)

ah thanks -- at times I need to look at HG repos, and I could not figure
out how to get multiple 'remotes' -- I guess that is the way.
(although usually I just do use some kind of git-hg bridging using
fast-exports)

> and handles well patches (mercurial queues).

well, for that we have quilt already as the official backend regardless
of the VCS

> Wouldn't managing python packages with mercurial make sense?

it would as much as with any other DVCS, such as GIT.  I am yet to hear
any objective advantage for using Python-based DVCS because they are
written in Python to maintain python packages