Re: shebang lines for Python scripts

On Mar 04, 2011, at 02:15 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>Currently Python policy says:
>
>1.4.2. Interpreter Location
>---------------------------
>
>     The preferred specification for the Python interpreter is
>     `/usr/bin/python' or `/usr/bin/python<X>.<Y>'.  This ensures that a
>     Debian installation of python is used and all dependencies on
>     additional python modules are met.
>
>     If a maintainer would like to provide the user with the possibility to
>     override the Debian Python interpreter, he may want to use
>     `/usr/bin/env python' or `/usr/bin/env python<X>.<Y>'.  However this
>     is not advisable as it bypasses Debian's dependency checking and makes
>     the package vulnerable to incomplete local installations of python.
>
>Is that strong enough?

It's good, but not quite strong enough, because it doesn't give me clear
guidance on what to do when I find a script with a /usr/bin/env shebang line.
How would I know whether it's a deliberate use, or a bug?  Or should I just
file a bug on the offending packages and let the maintainer sort it out?

Cheers,
-Barry