Re: Problems with building new version of pytools

Hi,

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:

> There are two common solutions:
>
> 1) Nuke the whole *.egg-info in the clean target.
>
> 2) Add it to extend-diff-ignore in debian/source/options.

We  had  the  same  issue  with Zope  packages,  and  nuking  the  whole
*.egg-info in the clean target is not a  good idea at all as it does not
work all the time, whereas 2) works just fine.

Further explanation  about the  problem we  had: SOURCES.txt  is usually
generated by calling setup.py sdist and  upstreams may use svn status to
determine which files should be added to this file, and thus which files
will be  installed at the end.   Thus, if you nuke  *.egg-info, you will
loose that  information and when  it will be re-generated  when building
the package,  for some reasons it  will only consider *.py  files as SVN
information is  not available.  That didn't work  with Zope  packages as
*.zcml  files  where  missing  from  SOURCES.txt  (and  thus  not  being
installed).

Therefore, I think it should  be better to recommend 2) (dpkg-source(1))
which is well suited for this purpose IMO. Perhaps it should be added on
the Wiki...

Regards,
--
Arnaud Fontaine