Re: Magical Python Depends was: Re: Dependencies with cType

Hi Scott (2011.10.03_22:54:37_+0200)
> > BTW, I'm slightly disturbed by the fact, that so many people believe
> > that a Python helper does code inspection (or maybe use some magical
> > means...) to generate python:Depends. It seems to be a new phenomenon, I
> > don't recall any questions like that a year ago or so.
>
> I remember being confused about this ~5 years ago when I started working on
> packaging Python stuff.  Maybe it's just that there's an upswing in new people
> recently?

I'm sure I did too. I think it's a reasonable assumption when you see
${python:Depends}, you start by hoping that it does everything that you
need. One thinks that it's at least possible that someone has written a
magical dependency detection system that works (at least for 99% of
packages), and wait anxiously to see how well it works.  After all, the
name implies python dependencies, not python-helper-related
dependencies. The thought of it only being dependencies for the helper
doesn't even enter your mind.

Of course, once you understand what's going on behind the scenes, and
have worked with debhelper and some dh_ tools your expectations are
different, and magical code inspection sounds horrible and unworkable.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/