Re: Dependencies with cType

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
>> I am trying to package a python module which load the real C library using
>> cType. I am using dh_python2 but I seem to be missing something as the
>> dependencies is still not quite right.
>>
>> $ apt-cache show python-openslide
>> Depends: python2.6 | python2.7, python (>= 2.6.6-7~), python (<< 2.8)
>>
>> While looking at the source:
>>
>> $ cat lowlevel.py
>> from ctypes import *
>> [...]
>> _lib = cdll.LoadLibrary('libopenslide.so.0')
>
> dh_python2 doesn't read your source code, except maybe for the first line
> (looking for shebang). You need to add dependency on libopenslide0 manually.

ok

> BTW, I'm slightly disturbed by the fact, that so many people believe that a
> Python helper does code inspection (or maybe use some magical means...) to
> generate python:Depends. It seems to be a new phenomenon, I don't recall any
> questions like that a year ago or so.

Sorry if this sound naive. there has been quite some change in the
java world (it was capable of doing all dependencies for me), so I
thought I was doing something wrong.

So how do people track dependencies needed for python packages ? There
is no test shipped with my current package, so all I can do is `grep
-r import` at the moment.

Thanks again,
--
Mathieu