Python 2.7 for Squeeze?

Hi,

I am new to this list (but I have skimmed last few months of the
archive), so excuse me if I have missed some discussion.

I am one of the core devs of MoinMoin Wiki and we currently require
python 2.6 for MoinMoin 2.0 (alpha). There are some reasons why we would
maybe like to require 2.7:
 * OrderedDict
 * faster io lib
 * some other features, less bugs, better maintenance
 * in general: better base for future Python 3 work

Problem: moin should be easily installable, even for unexperienced linux
users / admins. Not having the right python version in/for stable
release is no good for this, so debian (and maybe also some other linux
dists for which i care less) currently keeps us back at 2.6.

So I had a look at squeeze-backports, but not even there one can get
2.7.

Notes:
* i am not talking about the default "python", but just a "python2.7"
binary, so it would not mean any interference with code not explicitly
using it.
* not having python2.7 available out there delays python3 migration for
everybody
* afaik wheezy release as stable is expected in 2013, too long to wait
for that

So, is anybody working on putting python2.7 into squeeze-backports or do
I need to work on that myself? (I don't have much experience with debian
packaging / policy, so I could use my time more productively on
developping moin - but if nobody else cares, I'ld try to make a package)

If there was also virtualenv/pip there, i guess that would be enough for
us (and many other projects) for now.

Cheers,

Thomas