Re: Debian scotch Python egg?

On Sep 05, 2011, at 10:24 PM, David Spence wrote:

>Firstly, thank you for the replies: it's the response to even the daftest
>question which keeps the community flourishing. To those who've replied: you
>have reinforced my faith in Debian and Python.

Awesome!  I'm glad we were helpful.

>Barry, thanks for the pointer to flufl.enum and its package files. Prior to
>your guidance I was stuck on an unexpected blocker: all my other hand-created
>Debian packages have had a Makefile and to start with this one did too. At
>the time it was sans install target and my Debian package was built
>"successfully" - though it never contained my Python source text!? The root
>cause of my frustration was that my package build was silently successful
>with rules "dh @ --with python2". I twigged the cause at 04:30 this
>morning. What got me past my sticking point was the absence of a Makefile
>from flufl.enum. Honestly, I thought I was doing something seriously wrong -
>I wasn't expecting the presence of a simple Makefile to be the answer!

Yep, if you have a Makefile, you'll need to add `--buildsystem python_distutils`
to your dh call.  Generally, I've found less use for the Makefiles these days,
so I tend to remove them from the upstream source.

>So, thank you for the replies and sorry for the exposure to my bluster.
>
>I will live up to my promise to document what I've done step-by-step to
>complement what's already out there. Pls bear with me.

No problem!  Let us know when you've published your documentation.

-Barry