Re: New python-defaults upload to experimental

* Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>, 2011-07-07, 01:30:
I've just uploaded 2.7.2-2 to experimental. It's mostly about dh_python2 improvements from POX, but also has some minor updates to Python Policy that I think improve the currency of it a bit. Please review the changes and I'll fix them up if I got it wrong. Diff of the text version attached.

(I took my liberty to convert your diffs to wdiff output, which is more readable.)

    The goal of these policies is to reduce the work necessary for Python
    transitions.  Python modules are internally very dependent on a
    specific Python version.  [-However, we want to automate recompiling
    modules when possible, either during the upgrade itself
    (re-byte-compiling pyc and pyo files) or shortly thereafter with
    automated rebuilds (to handle C extensions).-]  These policies encourage automated
    dependency generation and loose version bounds whenever possible.

I don't understand this change.

Who decided that automated re(byte)compiling is not a laudable goal anymore?

Or is it just you want to promote a tool that does not comply to the original Python Policy goals and you are worried that somebody will notice?

    Python packages are {+either files or+} directories containing at least a
    `__init__.py', other modules, extensions and packages (A package in
    the Python sense is unrelated to a Debian package).  Python packages
    must be packaged into the same directory (as done by upstream).
    Splitting components of a package across directories changes the
    import order and may confuse documentation tools and IDEs.

Err, this change is incorrect. Please see
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html#packages
for the definition of Python package.

That said, I don't quite understand what this paragraph is supposed to mean. I'd remove it entirely.

    [-The-]
    python-support {+is deprecated.  It was+} system [-provides-] {+intended to provide+} a
    simple way to byte-compile pure Python modules and manage
    dependencies.  It integrates with `debhelper', manages

Only intended to? Also, I don't see any reason to use past tense here.
    python-central [-provides-] {+is deprecated.  It provided+} another way to manage
    Python modules.  It integrates with `debhelper', manages

I don't see any reason to use past tense here either.

--
Jakub Wilk