Re: Current state of packaging Python software for Debian

Hi,

Le 01/07/2011 16:07, Barry Warsaw a écrit :
> On Jun 15, 2011, at 05:07 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:
>> Yes, last summer’s GSoC added a test command, which defaults to
>> unittest(2) test discovery and can be configured to use any test runner
>> on any test suite.  It runs tests against the modules in the build
>> directory, to be able to work with code converted at build time with
>> 2to3 (and soon, to be able to access the PEP 376 dist-info files).
>> Barry, I’m waiting for reports about the problems you ran into :)
> IIRC, they were problems with doctests not getting properly converted, but I
> forget the details at the moment.  I'll try Python 3.3/packaging again soon
> and definitely file bugs for anything I find.  Can I use the Python tracker
> for those?

Certainly, using the Distutils2 component and 3.3 version.  Tarek,
Alexis and I will get auto-nosied.

>> Regarding Sphinx, I don’t think it would be appropriate to add a command
>> for it in the stdlib.  We already have upload_docs, which can upload any
>> set of HTML files.
> Well, almost.  I think there are some problems with that in Python 2, such as
> if the Sphinx docs aren't laid out in the particular way expected by
> `upload_docs`.  E.g. say you don't have an index.html file but you do have a
> README.html.

upload_docs merely complies with the Cheeseshop rules:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiHostingDocumentation

>> However, it’s much easier to add custom command in packaging¹, so Sphinx’
>> distutils-based build² command can be used with pysetup.
> That probably makes sense given that Sphinx is a separate project, but
> whatever we can do to make it easy to use the de-facto standard, the better.
> For example, `python setup.py build_sphinx` is a pretty lousy command name,
> but that's Georg's problem. ;)  OTOH, if packaging supports command
> extensions, then `pysetup build` should Just Work to build the docs too, when
> Sphinx is installed and docs are written in reST.

Yes, automatic registration of commands and subcommands is one of the
goals of Tarek.

Cheers