Re: Packaging python programs (with private modules) using the current Python version and binNMU:able when that changes

Hi Magnus (2011.04.25_21:17:11_+0200)
> dh_python2 will, unless told otherwise, and if modules are installed in the
> standard location, create symlinks in the module trees of all supported Python
> versions

Yes, that's how we prefer Python modules to be installed. Usable in
all supported versions.

> which is a bit pointless for modules used only by the application in question.

Then the modules should be installed privately.

> All right, I just have to patch the scripts to add that directory to
> the search path

Easiest way is to put the scripts with the modules, and symlink them
into /usr/bin.

> and make sure that the modules are still bytecompiled in the postinst
> and recompiled when the default python version changes, right?

dh_python2 will take care of that.

> In either case, it seems that I would like to "fix" the package to the current
> default Python version, but preferably a simple rebuild should be enough when
> the default version changes.

Rather don't do that unless you have C extensions, which force a
rebuild, or a test-suite that you want run with every version.

> If the package depends on a single Python version it can also depend
> on the corresponding pythonX.Y-foo virtual module packages,

Please don't do that unless you are not supporting the default version
of python. python-foo will always be compatible with the default version.

Also, many packages don't provide pythonX.Y-foo, and many that do don't
do it correctly.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera