Re: Proposal for a Python-related GSoC project

On Mar 23, 2011, at 01:41 PM, Francesca Ciceri wrote:

>< liw> how about something like dh-make-perl but for python's pypi?
>i.e., take a package from pypi (the python package inventory) and
>make a rudimentary debian package out of it, automatically?

I think this is a great idea, and as Zygmunt pointed out, pkgme is an
excellent starting point.  A few things that could be added if not already
there, either in the pkgme core or possible as plugins:

* Automatic support for namespace packages (but see also dh_python2 work)
* Automatic support for 2to3
* Integration of package test suites
* Sphinx doc builds where available
* Integrating w/distutils2 (setup.cfg)

I'm already committed to mentoring in other projects, though.

-Barry