Re: Switching to git

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 05:30:15PM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > Wouldn't managing python packages with mercurial make sense?
>
> it would as much as with any other DVCS, such as GIT.  I am yet to hear
> any objective advantage for using Python-based DVCS because they are
> written in Python to maintain python packages

Being a maintainer of Python packages often means you know Python
which enables you to make mercurial work the way want: write a plugin,
write a script that looks for information in the repo, etc.

  from mercurial import hg, ui
  repo = hg.repository(ui.ui(), dirname)
  changed = repo.status()
  # do something with changed...

This proved *very* valuable over the years to get things done very
quickly when working with a large number of mercurial repositories and
was much faster than writing bash scripts that run the hg command.

Now, I heard the argument about being the user of a DVCS rather than
hacking that DVCS, I do not intend to fight against the large amount
of people that know git (a majority maybe?), want git to be used
everywhere (some would like to have hg used everywhere, don't they)
and do not want to learn hg (it is true that comparing the two can
take a bit of one's time, because they are so similar).

Doesn't matter, I'll use http://hg-git.github.com/ if I need to ;)

--
Nicolas Chauvat