Re: Discuss Python plans for (early) wheezy cycle

On Jan 20, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Luca Falavigna wrote:

>Today there was a little discussion in #debian-python about Python plans
>as soon as wheezy cycle starts (as you know, that will probably happen
>on early february, see [0]), let's discuss it here to give people a
>chance to express their opinions.
>
>It was initially proposed to drop both 2.5 and 2.6 to supported
>versions, and set 2.7 to default, but this is seen as too much risky,
>even at the beginning of the development cycle.
>
>A saner solution seems to leave 2.6 as default for now, moving 2.7 to
>supported and dropping 2.5 at the same time. This will not bring in
>major disruptive behaviours, and leave time to prepare the road to 2.7
>as default and removing older 2.5 very soon in the cycle.
>
>I volunteer to help out to get rid of python2.5 for wheezy (help is of
>course very appreciated!): I'm going to prepare an environment to help
>this task, and will probably begin efforts as soon as python-defaults
>maintainers agree to changes to supported versions.
>
>In the meantime, Barry is spending a lot of efforts in python2.7
>transition for Ubuntu Natty (see [1] for some details), so we could
>benefit from his work a lot once we will be ready to start transition on
>Debian too.

I would be in favor of at least getting rid of Python 2.5 and setting Python
2.7 as supported as early as possible.  I'd like to see Python 2.7 as the
default, with or without Python 2.6 as supported as soon as is feasible, and I
am of course willing to help with that.

I have to be honest that it's been very difficult for me to get my Python 2.7
transition changes back into Debian.  Part of that has been due to just being
swamped with work, but part of it has been my own difficulty in getting
comfortable with migrating changes from Ubuntu to Debian, which unfortunately
due to work constraints is the direction of least resistance.  But I still
have the intention of getting those changes back into Debian, and do plan on
spending time on that, hopefully with your patience and help ;).  I think the
above stated Wheezy time frame will work out well, given that Natty is to be
released in April.

If I may make a radical suggestion though: what do you think about making
Python 3 the default for Wheezy?

-Barry