Re: coming back to packaging multiple versions of libraries

[Robert Collins, 2011-01-06]
> 2011/1/6 Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>:
> This issue exists with C libraries too, but its not forbidden. Why
> should C libraries be expected to permit this, but not Python
> libraries?

C libraries are linked at build time, Python libraries at runtime and
C libraries do not suffer from sys.modules problem, that's a huge
difference

[...]
> > 5) convince Python interpreter developers to provide something similar to
> >   sonames (bar.py, bar.2/__init__.py, bar.2.3/__init__.py, bar.3.py)
> >   and add support for syntax I mentioned last time or use something
> >   like 3rd party pkg_resources' require() or... allow
> >   foo/lib-packages/bar → ../../bar-1 symlinks (where dist-packages/bar
> >   is in version 2 and dist-packages/bar-1 in v1, note that bar-1 is not
> >   a valid module name)... with lots of problems Clint already mentioned
>
> Its already developed : pkg_resources.Require()

if you mean pkg_resources.require() (i.e. the one I mentioned above),
then please check when it's possible to use it and then think what will
happen if application A will *not* use pkg_resources.require