Re: Skip Python 2.6 and use 2.7 as default in Squeeze?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Marian Sigler <mariansigler@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Given how much work is required to change the default Python, does it
>> make sense to just skip Python 2.6 and use 2.7 as the default Python
>> version in Squeeze?
> What has emerged here? I see that it won't be the default, but will it
> be at least included at all?

As you can see here, python2.7 is only available in experimental:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python2.7.html

As we are now in the squeeze freeze period it is unlikely that
python2.7 will enter squeeze:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/08/msg00000.html

> For most python users (I assume) it will be of great benefit already if
> just pure python without all those packages debian provides would be
> available (also) in version 2.7.

backports.org exists for packages needed by users of stable/squeeze
that weren't yet ready for inclusion in testing/squeeze at the time of
the freeze. It would probably be a good idea to use it for python3.2
and python2.7 packages once squeeze is out.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise