Re: Build-Depends-Indep dependencies

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Bernd Zeimetz <bzed@debian.org> wrote:
>> Even though the policy doesn't explain what Build-Depends-Indep is, it
>> says that Build-Depends-Indep should be present for these Makefile
>> targets:
>> build, build-indep, binary, and binary-indep
>>
>> But there are no such targets in trac-bitten debian/rules file, so I
>> assume that some kind of autotools is used to execute/supply these
>> targets when debian/rules is executed. As a Windows Python user, who
>> just want to see new Bitten package in Debian to upload the package to
>> production server, I can't really go into the gory details of Debian
>> toolchains. It already takes more time than I could allow.
>
> I don't mind that beginners in packaging have write access to our repositories,
> assuming that they're willing to learn the necessary details during their work
> within the team. But as you're neither willing to learn how packaging software
> for Debian works, nor you seem to know the necessary basics like makefiles, I've
> removed your write access to the Python teams' repositories.

You assumption is wrong, and I'd like to think that the right signal
for this outcome here is "Windows" keyword. =) Because:
1. It not that I am unwilling to learn how packaging work, it's that
nobody is able to explain the details. If you feel I am wrong - then
explain, please, what Build-Depends-Indep was designed for, how it
works, what is the real usage, and how its usage conflicts with the
policy?
2. I know basics about makefiles, but maybe not the details of your
patching systems and autotools. Details of Build-Depends-Indep
conflict are buried in the pile of packaging stuff somewhere near the
layer of auto build systems.
3. I you feel that I don't know how packaging works - then please
improve http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam/HowToPBuilder
so that it will sound like written by someone with knowledge.

> Of course you are still welcome to update packages, please send the according
> patches to me and I'll apply them.

Please apply the patch in attach.
--
anatoly t.