Re: How to ship .a files in a python-support package?

* Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>, 2010-09-30, 23:59:
background for this is: #596987

I installed the libnpymath.a in ./debian/tmp/usr/lib/python*/*-packages/numpy/core/lib/libnpymath.a (the same place there are several other .so files); they are copied in debian/python-numpy/same_location but then .so files are moved in /u/l/pyshared, but the .a is ignored and this not shipped in the resulting .deb package.

Is there a way to ship that libnpymath.a file? or just by hand (and in this case, how)?

What would the file be used for?
Linking new modules statically with the library?

If only I know (I barely understand what a .a is for)...

Quoting doc/release/1.4.0-notes.rst:

In 1.3.0, we started putting portable C math routines in npymath library, so that people can use those to write portable extensions. Unfortunately, it was not possible to easily link against this library: in 1.4.0, support has been added to numpy.distutils so that 3rd party can reuse this library.

From the bug report, I can only infer that scipy new version (0.8.0) doesn't build without libnpymath.a .

As far as I understand it, the library is independent of python, so I'd just ship it directly in /usr/lib/.

--
Jakub Wilk