Re: Python BoF at DebConf10 - summary

On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>Summary of discussions in the Python BoF meet at DebConf10

Thanks for the update.  Being not far from my back yard, I was hoping to make
it but it fell within family summer vacation.

>Squeeze will ship with Python 2.5, 2.6 (as default) and 3.1.

Note that we will *not* be supporting Python 2.7 in Maverick, but it will be
available.  I will follow up with more details hopefully later today, but I
think we have a solid foundation and should be able to enable it as the
default in NN.

The PPAs provide good feedback for build-dep failures, and you've posted some
lists of byte-compilation failures for 2.7.  Having another 6 months for
Ubuntu, and working through and with debian-python to get fixes upstream, into
Debian and syncd to Ubuntu for 11.04 will hopefully better align Ubuntu with
Debian, and make this as smooth a transition as possible.

The recommendations that came out of Debconf look pretty good to me.  I
especially like the promotion of unit tests during build time, and would like
to help with this (it's been discussed here before but I've been too busy to
work on it much).  Maybe tox[1] can help us here.

-Barry

[1] http://codespeak.net/tox/