Re: problem installing a package

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 02:50:03PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org>, 2010-08-09, 14:00:
> >while packaging a new version of funkload and trying to convert the
> >packaging to the new 3.0 format, I have now arrived at a package that
> >should work. At least, superficially inspecting the package's contents
> >does not reveal any errors, as does running lintian (the package is
> >almost lintian-clean).

> I'm not surprised; lintian support for Python packaging is currently
> rather pitiful.

I chatted with a couple of the lintian maintainers at DebConf last week;
they are very much aware of this and would like help from the Python folks
to correct it.  If there are common packaging mistakes you're aware of that
result in packages that fail the Python packaging policy, or that otherwise
fail to interoperate correctly, I would encourage you to report bugs against
lintian (preferably with patches) for these issues.  (Ideally, cc:ing
debian-python on the bug reports, so that we don't accidentally wind up with
lintian checks that don't match the consensus understanding of how python
packages are supposed to work.)