Re: Documenting Python Debuntuisms

On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
>> We had a report in upstream Python from a user who was trying to find
>> information about dist-packages.  He did a Google search and didn't
>> find any definitive official explanation of this Debuntuism.  His
>> suggestion was to add a note to the official Python documentation,
>> but that doesn't seem quite right to me.
>>
>> I think it would be better to have official documentation on
>> wiki.debian.org[1] about issues of interest to Python developers on
>> Debian and Ubuntu.  This would be a user-oriented set of pages, not
>> a developer set of pages.  Things like dist-packages and probably
>> that python-setuptools gives you distribute would be two things to
>> start with.  I'm sure there are others.
>>
>> So: do you think this is a good idea?  If so, where should this
>> information go?  I'm not sure Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam or
>> Teams/PythonModulesTeam are really the best place for this.
>
>As a random bystander, yes, I think a page on wiki.d.o is great idea.
>I think that if you're not sure where to put the page, just live the
>wiki dream and put it in any random place. And then once the page gets
>traffic and content people will figure out the *right* place for it.

I like the JFDI attitude Asheesh!

I've done a quick pass through

 * http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython
 * http://wiki.debian.org/Python

to clean things up a little, and to begin to document in the former a few
deviations from upstream Python that a Debian user might encounter.  At least
that puts a stake in the ground.  Let the wikiwars begin.

-Barry