Re: Proposed Email to the release team about XS/B-P-V

"Piotr Ożarowski" <piotr@debian.org> wrote:

>[Scott Kitterman, 2010-06-23]
>> 3.  Create a new field, X-Python-Version: for Python3 versions.  This avoids
>> concerns about control file bloat, but may be a bit confusing in combination
>> with the existing XS/B-P-V.
>
>+ "Please note the lack of XB-Python-Version, i.e. X-Python-Version
>will be used to feed build tools only."

Thanks.

>> 4.  Create a new field, X-Python3-Version: for Python3 versions and in Squueze
>> +1 migrate the existing XS/B-P-V to X-Python-Version.  This avoids confusion,
>> but does require lots of packages to be changed and tools to be updated to
>> recognize X-Python-Version.  In the long run, it does stop Python packages
>> from exposing information externally that has turned out not to be very
>> useful.
>
>is it worth mentioning migration of XS-Python-Version to
>X-Python-Version? Will we ever do that? For what gain?

It would remove the wart of exposing useless information and slightly de-bloat the files that would no longer carry this information. If we were to start over it would be something more like this. I think it's worth mentioning the more "correct" design even if we conclude the gain is not worth the effort now.

Scott K