Re: Possible Mass Bug Filing: String Exceptions Removed in Python 2.6

* Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org>, 2010-06-06, 12:34:
Please note that even with the fact that string exceptions are not
supported, they raise a TypeError exception. Since the (almost) only
way to catch a string exception is to catch all exceptions, the
TypeError would be catched as well.

This is a bit oversimplifying. There a still may things that can break because of this change in Python 2.6. Please consider e.g. these snippets:

try:
    raise 'Horrible failure!'
except TypeError:
    pass

try:
    raise 'Horrible failure!'
except:
    print >>log, sys.exc_type

Therefore, using a string exception is a minor bug, IMO.

In most (all?) cases, yes.

I say this because this kind of mass bug report will be used again to
explain why python2.6 is still not the default in sid.

I hope it won't.

We still don't know if our packages will _run_ with python2.6 and we will know it only just before the release if we keep postponing switch to 2.6.

I concur. Note however, it's now much easier to switch to python2.6-as-default on your machine, as new python-defaults is now available in experimental. (Beware of bug #583683, though!)

--
Jakub Wilk