Re: continuous integration/testing for python packages [Was: Is it worth back porting PEP 3147...]

On 27 avril 22:09, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:07:51AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > Is that easy work manual or automated?  What does it take to Debianize
> > random-simple-pypi-package?  (By that I mean "run a script" or "inspect
> > setup.py and write the debian/*" or "...?".
>
> Easy manual work. I'm cc'ing the people that do it often so that they
> can provide details. Alexandre, Sylvain ?

once you've metadata easily accessible it becomes possible to generate
a good part of the packaging. Though to get a proper debian packaging,
you'll need hand tuning in most cases. We used to have a tool generating
debian package from __pkginfo__ files (containing extra information for
that packaging), but that was painful to maintain, so we stopped using
it to do it by hand. That doesn't take much time, and you usually don't
create new project everyday...

With standardized metadata, and so a wider audience, such a tool
handling most of the repeating work would probably be worth it.