Re: Skip Python 2.6 and use 2.7 as default in Squeeze?

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:42:37AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Python 2.7 is faster than 2.6 (in my limited tests from a few
> > percents to more than 7 times faster, the latter with a small
> > CPU-intensive math program), it has a few cool new toys, for many
> > years in the future it will be THE Python 2 version (it's the last
> > one) and, most importantly it has several new features to make the
> > transition to Python 3 easier.
>
> For any software, new versions always have new shiny features and of
> course no regressions.

Of course, Cyril meant "new" regressions, I guess. ;-)

> > Including it in Debian now should make many Python programmers
> > happier in the next few years.
>
> Including it and making it the default are two different topics.
>
> > TIA for any feedback to this crazy idea.
>
> You named it. :)

And, JFTR, I'd go with Cyril's one-step-at-a-time approach, as would
most other in the list, I'd guess. But it would be nice to see Python
2.7 in Debian soon. :-)

Kumar
--
Actually, typing random strings in the Finder does the equivalent of
filename completion.