Get debhelper to build a python module with multiple packages

Hi,

I have a package RabbitVCS that contains a python module and some
extensions scripts. I want to build separate binary packages for the
module and extension files. The extension scripts are easy enough to
build, they just need corresponding rabbitvcs-blah.install files. But
the resulting deb for the python module contains nothing but the
debian docs.

However, if I remove all the other entries from the control file (and
their corresponding .install files, etc) and just build the single
target "rabbitvcs-core", it works fine. Now, I can see *what*
debhelper is doing differently, it builds in debian/rabbitvcs-core for
the single binary target case and debian/tmp for the multiple target
case. But I have no idea how to tell debhelper to do the right thing.

My efforts thus far are at:

https://alioth.debian.org/scm/viewvc.php/packages/rabbitvcs/trunk/debian/?root=python-modules

Can anyone give me some pointers?

(I've been asking this in different places and not been able to get an
answer, so I hope no-one gets annoyed with my cross posting.)

Please CC me on replies.

Cheers,
Jason