Ensuring stable APIs for consumer applications

Hi,

It occurs to me that there's very little guarantee of a stable API in
Python modules - less so in C modules, because upstream tends to be more
aware that this is a library, but in pure Python modules.

In lib* libraries, we (usually) have SONAMEs which provide some kind of
contract between the .so and the consuming application. Is there an
equivalent practice in pure Python modules that is implemented widely enough
to be useful?

The question came about because the upstream author of RedNotebook ships a
number of convenience copies, sometimes heavily modified, because he is
nervous about APIs changing suddenly and wasting his work. It's likely that
there will be more of these in the near future. Is there anything with which
I can reassure him and reduce the amount of duplicated code in this
application?

Of course I may have missed something very obvious, so please say so if I
have.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

1024D: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51