Re: Package and script naming

Hi Alexandre,

I'm on the distutils-ml as a python developer. Actually I am
researching application and package packaging in python.

> The application is named "lunch", and should provide the following files:
>  * /usr/share/applications/lunch.desktop
>  * /usr/share/man/man1/lunch.1
>  * /usr/share/pixmaps/lunch.png
>  * /usr/bin/lunch
>  * /usr/share/pyshared/lunch/ : a Python package with a few modules.
>  * /usr/share/pyshared/lunch-0.1.1.egg-info/ : I guess an egg will be
> there.
>
> So, I guess, in the setup.py file, the "name" keyword-argument of the
> setup function should be "lunch". Does that mean that my Debian package
> should be named "python-lunch", or can it be named simply "lunch" ?

You can choose either.

> An other question : since the executable and the package have the same
> name, the executable needs to be in script/lunch. This means that I need
> to run it with a command such as the following :
>
>   PYTHONPATH=$PWD scripts/lunch

Usually, you would create a link to your script.

> If I want to test my executable, from within the repository, without the
> need to install the Python package, even using "sudo python setup.py
> develop". Anyone has a workaround to avoid typing that much ? I would
> rather simply type "./scripts/lunch" to run my app.

If you want to help out with a metadata based solution to this problem
for all python users, I'd welcome this example.

http://bitbucket.org/djlyon/original-setup.py-with-metadata/

Regards

David