Re: python(xy) installation

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:47:50 +0000, "Floris Bruynooghe"
<floris.bruynooghe@gmail.com> said:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:12:52PM +0100, roberto wrote:
> > hello
> > i need to install python(xy) in debian 5.0;
> > which is the best way to do it ?
> > compile it from source ?
> > is it possible to install the related ubuntu package ?
>
> "apt-get install python"
>
> or
>
> "apt-get install pythonX.Y" where "X.Y" is something like "2.4" or "2.5".
>
> Sadly if you want Python 2.6 or 3.1 currently you'll need to use
> experimental or install from source.  When building from source first
> do "apt-get build-dep python" to make your life easier.
>
> Regards
> Floris

Floris,

I thnk that Roberto was asking about Python(x,y) rather than version x.y
of a standard Python install.

Python(x,y) is a package of Python plus various tools and libraries for
science and engineering:

  http://www.pythonxy.com/

There is a Ubuntu package for it, which I have not tested on Debian 5.

This site has a list of the packages you could install to get the same
basic functionality as Python(x,y):

  http://groups.google.fr/group/pythonxy-linux/web/pythonxy-linux-packages-list

Regards,
Graeme