Re: Fw: RFS: python-coverage 3.0.1-1

Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org> writes:

> It seems my message didn't passed through, so I re-send it, I hope
> with a better fate.

We got it this time. Thank you for inspecting this package.

> debian/control:
> * Build-Depend on debhelper (>= 7.3.5).

The changelog entry for ‘debhelper’ 7.3.5 says:

  * python_distutils buildsystem: Build for all supported Python
    versions that are installed. Ensure that correct shebangs are
    created by using `python' first during build and install.
    Closes: #520834
    Also build with python*-dbg if the package build-depends
    on them.

What does it mean “if the package build-depends on them”? If “them”
means “debug packages”, why would any non-debug package depend on a
debug package?

> debian/python-coverage.dirs:
> * Useless.

I can't find where ‘/usr/bin/’ is excluded from requirement to be
created; is it in a part of Policy that I've overlooked?

> debian/python-coverage.install:
> * I'd use debian/manpages to install python-coverage.1.

Done.

> debian/rules:
> * Why did you rename /usr/bin/coverage to /usr/bin/python-coverage?

Because ‘/usr/bin/coverage’ is far too generic a name for a tool
specifically for checking Python source code. (This change was made
before I started maintaining the package, but I agree with it on this
rationale.)

> * Pass --single-version-externally-managed to setup.py install.

The package doesn't directly use ‘setup.py install’ at all, leaving that
to the various ‘debhelper’ programs. In what circumstances does a
package need your suggested change to override what those helpers do by
default?

> * You could eventually adopt rules.tiny to simplify reading.

That template omits the ‘.PHONY’ rules (marking some targets as phony so
they will be built regardless whether there is a file of the same name).
I think those rules serve a good purpose, so I use a ‘debian/rules’ file
that declares them.

> debian/watch:
> * "Newest version on remote site is 3.1~b1, local version is 3.0.1",
>    you could want to exclude beta releases.

I prefer to make this determination for each release, rather than have
them omitted by default. Is there a reason this is a bad practice?

Thanks again for your feedback.

--
 \      “Shepherds … look after their sheep so they can, first, fleece |
  `\   them and second, turn them into meat. That's much more like the |