Re: PEP 345 - request for comments

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 16:03 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 18 novembre 2009 à 10:02 +0100, Wolodja Wentland a écrit :
> > PEP 345 [1] describes version 1.2 of the PKG-INFO file that will be
> > shipped with Python distributions in the future.
>
> > Requires-External: C
> > Requires-External: libpng (>=1.5)
>
> > Would Debian maintainers use this field to extract dependencies of a
> > Python package that have to be handled by the system's package manager?

> No, it is clearly not possible to automate such a thing.
> You should use pkg-config, possibly extending it with Python fields,
> instead of reinventing the wheel.

I agree. Automation based on this information is clearly only possible
if the requirements were listed specifically for each Linux distribution
and would use the actual package names used by, for example, Debian.
Even then this field might only serve as a hint to, say dh_make, in the
initial debianisation of the original source archive.

> > Does the proposed format match your requirements? Are there any changes
> > your would like to see incorporated, so that this field eases your
> > packaging work?

> If upstream maintainers update this field correctly, it would ease
> packaging work, but not automate it. With the proposal as is, it is
> strictly similar to making mandatory the documentation of dependencies.

The documentation is not mandatory and I guess that a lot of upstream
authors will not even bother to list these external dependencies. I just
wanted to ask if you actually see any benefit in including this field in
the PEP.

There are a couple of other proposals and PEPs that you might be
interested in. You can find a - incomplete - overview at:

[1] http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/DiscussionOverview

It would be great if you could have a look at the PEPs and proposals and
point out anything that you would like to see changed or included.

thanks a lot!

P.S. I am subscribed to this list, so there is no need to CC me.

--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :