Re: Lintian warnings for Python packaging?

Steve Langasek ha scritto:
>> * E: Don't hard-code {site,dist}-packages
>
> hard-coded where, and how will you detect this?

debian/rules and other control files such as debian/install and
debian/links.

>> * W: Build extension for every supported Python version
>
> how will you detect this?

Parsing XS-P-V or pyversions, comparing it with supported versions and
then checking for files under /usr/lib/py*

>> * W: #!/usr/bin/env python as shebang for Python scripts
>
> AFAIK this is allowed by the existing python policy; and if it's allowed,
> then I think such a warning is just noise.  We should either forbid this
> shebang line completely (with a clear rationale), or not bother maintainers
> about it, because if it's not mandatory then it's not worth modifying
> upstream code over.

I agree it should be clarified and defined properly in Python policy.

As a side note, some other *NIXes (e.g. FreeBSD, IIRC) need
#!/usr/bin/env as shebang due to how they distribute Python.

>> * I: python-support and XB-Python-Version field
>
> Why bother?  XB-Python-Version was intended as archive-side annotation of
> packages; if it's noteworthy at all, I think it's noteworthy whether or not
> using python-support.

Rationale is "if it's not useful, why use it then?"

>> * I: No dh_python but pycompat file available
>> * I: Place Python applications in private directory
>
> Likewise, I don't see the point for something that's only informational.

To give maintainers a note about boilerplate files which can be removed
or how to avoid polluting global namespace without a valid reason.

>> * P: Python extension but no -dbg package
>
> Well, this fits the definition of "pedantic" (people - e.g., me - don't
> agree that this check is correct).  But I don't see the point in adding
> pedantic tags to lintian. :)

-dbg packages are useful for debugging purposes, so it's not strictly
necessary (hence the "pedantic"). There are plans to provide automatic
dbgsym packages, but I don't think they can handle Python ones. I'll
have a look at this matter.

--

  .''`.
 : :' :   Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>