Re: Quick analysis of the Python dist-packages transition

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 09:18:16PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>       * 505 of these packages do not use distutils and should not be
>         affected, still shipping files to site-packages/. However,
>         according to Scott Kimmermann (who handled parts of this
>         transition in Ubuntu), python-central does not look for modules
>         in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages, so most modules using it
>         are broken.

What do you mean, "look for" modules there?  Are you proposing that these
packages ship files under /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages, or that
python-central find modules under this directory at build-time and move them
to /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages?

AIUI, the former would be contrary to upstream's wishes regarding the
organization of distro-provided modules.

>         If this is the case, python-central needs to be NMUed to handle
>         such packages.

There is no bug filed against python-central for this.  An NMU would be out
of order.