Re: s/-setuptools/-pkg-resources/ dependency : also in upstream EGGs?

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 02:00:43AM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> it's safe to remove requires.txt from binary package (not the whole
> Egg-info, it can contain important data, f.e. entry points)

Uhm, please expand on "it's safe".

I've seen in the past EGG loading due to unsatisfied dependencies at the
EGG level. So if the requires.txt is there, unless something has
changes, it can induce failures in loading.

Then, with "it is safe", do you mean that if the requires.txt is not
there, dependencies at the EGG level will not be checked? That would be
fine in Debian (given we ensure dependencies at another level), but also
a bit risky since we lose a level of runtime testing.

Otherwise, is there are no risks whatsoever in removing requires.txt, I
believe legacy tools used to build packages should do that.

Cheers.