Re: Existing modules for new Python

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Max Bowsher<maxb@f2s.com> wrote:
> anatoly techtonik wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can anybody tell what happens with existing Python modules when a new
>> Python version is deployed on the system?
>> Are they recompiled or reinstalled or left inaccessible in this version?
>
> Debian python packages trigger hook scripts in
> /usr/share/python/runtime.d/ on installation to cause compilation of
> bytecode for newly installed versions.

Shouldn't this be described in Debian Python Policy?
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

Because I have more questions that are not answered there:
What scripts should installed by python modules packages, which
parameters do these scripts accept? In particular - how do they know
for what version of Python they are being called and where to place
interpreter specific bytecompiled files?

> If the package providing the modules in question uses python-support or
> python-central everything should be automatically taken care of by the
> above process.

"Uses" means "adds it as dependency" or there must be specific API
calls to get the desired result?

Thank you.

--
anatoly t.