Re: SONAME for python modules is bad?

On Wednesday 22,July,2009 02:47 PM, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, Mathieu Malaterre wrote to say that having a SOVERSION on a
> python module is wrong, with reference to an oblique comment from
> Josselin Mouette [1].
>
> Is this true?  What is the rationale for not versioning these shared
> objects?
>
> Is there any "more official" document that mandates this?  For
> example, the python policy?
I think it's more of something like the libtool versioning scheme is
used only for libraries that are linked in using by the dynamic linker
during runtime, i.e. stuff in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or the usual lib
directories: /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, etc.

Python modules are loaded using dlopen or some similar mechanism if I'm
not mistaken, and hence should not be versioned using the libtool
versioning scheme. They're much like plugins for certain applications,
e.g. /usr/lib/geany/*.so for Geany, and
/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-*/*.so for Nautilus, except that in this
case, it's for Python.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin