Re: Packaging plugins for Python applications

* Jakub Wilk <ubanus@users.sf.net>, 2009-05-29, 21:01:
What is the correct umbrella to package a plugin for a Python application under? DPMT or PAPT?

And, is there some recommended binary package naming scheme for such packages?

I am asking those questions, because I intend[1] to package hg-git[2],
a plugin for Mercurial (maintained by PAPT).

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/531028
[2] http://hg-git.github.com/

As there were no definite answers to my questions, I decided that:

1. I'd like to package hg-git under the PAPT umbrella.

Rationale: Mercurial is maintained by PAPT and it's debatable whether any application (but Mercurial) would ever import that module.

2. The binary package will be named mercurial-git. (mercurial-hg-git would be a more consistent name, but would violate the DRY principle.)

Rationale: trac and docutils plugins are already using a scheme without
the "python-" prefix.

If anybody disagree, please feel free to veto.

--
Jakub Wilk