Re: Migration from python-central to python-support

[Pietro Battiston, 2009-05-29]
> since I have read [0], I'm migrating to python-support for the new
> version of my python-shapely package.
> But I admit that in the followups of the said mail, I got somehow
> confused... the 3 lines that Piotr suggests to add:
>
> | if [ "$1" = upgrade ] && dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt 1.2.3-4; then
> | 	pycentral pkgremove python-foo
> | fi
>
> seem to be of at least debated utility... however [1] seems still open...
> so in the end is there a final position on this at all?

#479852 is fixed in unstable and testing (dunno why it's not closed,
though, maybe there are some special cases that are still not fixed and
that I'm not aware of). Anyway, this bug is NOT fixed in stable so
you still need to use preinst maintainer script (I'll try to convince
Matthias to fix it in Lenny soon as we didn't find other way[0] to avoid
preinst)

PS remember to replace 1.2.3-4 with a *first* version of your package
that is using python-support and python-foo with your package name.

[0] * "Conflicts: python-central << 0.6.10" in python-support will not
      guarantee that python-central is configured at upgrade (and thus
      old .pyc files will not be removed)
    * "Pre-Depends: python-central >= 0.6.10" in python-support will
      still require "Pre-Depends: python-support >= 0.90" in all
      packages that suffer from this pycentral bug (it's easier do add
      Pre-Depends than to add preinst IMHO but Joss see problems here
      and said that preinst is a better choice[1])
[1] please note that `pycentral pkgremove python-foo` could not be
    enough (f.e. if list of .py files provided by pycentral based
    package changed at least once, you'll have to use "rm -rf", see f.e.
    python-formencode package)
--
-=[     Piotr Ożarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-