Re: Package names for docutils writers

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:55:12AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Here's my reasoning.
>
> I no longer think ‘python-’ is an appropriate prefix for the package
> name. These packages are primarily components of Docutils, so they are
> “private” in that they are entirely within the context of Docutils.
> Since they're not a general-use Python module, the package shouldn't
> be named like one.
>
> So I think the following naming style is appropriate:
>
>     docutils-reader-foo
>     docutils-reader-bar
>     docutils-transform-wibble
>     docutils-transform-wobble
>     docutils-writer-quux
>     docutils-writer-xyzzy
>
> These are components of the Docutils system; and such extensions can
> be of several distinct purposes (hence “reader”, “transform”,
> “writer”, etc.) Once all that's said, the rest of the name should be
> answering the question “A Docutils writer for what?” (likewise for
> reader, transform, etc.)
>
> To my knowledge there are not yet any Docutils components other than
> writers packaged; but the Docutils design explicitly allows for
> third-party components of many different kinds (with different
> purposes, which means they would be best grouped together under
> similar names).
>
> The component is best packaged as a library, separate from the main
> tool (if any) that uses that library. Either that, or the library
> package which includes an executable tool should ‘Provides: ’ a
> virtual package for that tool so that the user can find it by the
> logical name; this also allows an easier user migration to packaging
> them separately if that decision is revisited.

I like your proposal and would be ready to rename my package to fit this
scheme.

> For the existing components and front-end tools, I would like to see
> these package names:
>
>     docutils-writer-odt
>     rst2odt
>     docutils-writer-pdf
>     rst2pdf
>     docutils-writer-manpage
>     rst2man
>     docutils-writer-website
>     rest2web
>     docutils-writer-sphinx
>     sphinx

python-sphinx and rest2web don’t publicly enhance docutils (which is
another thing that might be worth changing).  At the moment it’s really
just us three.  So, Chris, what do you think? :-)

Michael Schutte <michi@uiae.at>