Re: Python related changes for unstable/squeeze

Joss, although I'm more than happy that you fixed bug I reported
(#478178) and you implemented the "pyshared" feature, please wait with
implementation next time until both of you will agree to do something
(to avoid unnecessary work). Let me just cite a DD who told me once to
"hold on your horses, Piotr". Once we'll move to LEVEL 2 (see below),
you'll have to reimplement maintainer scripts again, and that will be
frustrating for sure.

Mathias, please reply to my stupid and ignorant questions. All I want is
to give our users best possible option so f.e. if you'd propose to keep
python2.5 in supported, I'd ask why the heck should we have so many
Python versions in Debian and is it possible to provide to all who
use python2.5 in their applications an alternative (but still smooth)
upgrade path.

So...

We're still at LEVEL 1 (common location for .py and .so files) as
Matthias didn't agree to to use /usr/lib/py{,3}shared. He said that he
see no advantages in using separate directory for .so files, but he also
didn't refuse to use one...

*If* we'll find a consensus here, we'll move to LEVEL 2. I'll shortly
describe what level 2 will be about below, but please don't reply to
this part of my mail until LEVEL 1 will be completed (there will be
punishment for a falstart, I'll ask Ana to propose one as womens are good
at tortures (/me read "Sword of Truth" recently ;)) [yeah, that's a
tricky way to lead flame war astray, so we can discuss in peace ;]
Again, think about your arguments now as it will be a hot ride.

LEVEL 2: common maintainer scripts ({post,pre}{inst,rm})

It will be a lot harder to find a consensus here. To avoid flames[1], I
propose to mail your opinions as list of points/ideas/{dis,}advantages
f.e. here are features that new maintainers scripts should have IMO
(we'll discuss which ones are valid and propose new ones):

* each script has to be short, few lines only if possible
* should not depend on any specific helper tool
  + same scripts in packages created by pysupport and in these created
    by pycentral
  + this should help getting rid of helper dependency in future (or even
    in level 2))
* python package (or new foobar package) should provide all
  tools/modules needed by these scripts
  + package should depend on default helper (save thoughts about which
    will be "default" for later)
* should use new dpkg feature - triggers
  + will speed up installation of new systems
  + most probably will ease dealing with various unexpected situations
    (i.e. let dpkg do as much as possible and blame it later)

[1] If Mathias or Joss will not behave correctly, I'll ask Ana to kick
him in the ass and share pictures of him crying kicked by a girl ;-).
This will also have a very strong impact on my final decision so watch
your tounge^Wfingers!

If others will try to insult someone else *without* adding "please note
that I'm an asshole" I will call him an asshole (I will add that "I'm an
asshole who kicked you out of the list" so technically I will be able to
mail again) and will try to convince listmasters to block him for few
weeks - there will be no warnings, so if you want to call someone names,
make sure you'll write a lot of it - that will be your last chance to do
this.

PS Ana: do you hate me already or should I continue? ;-P
PPS Yes, I know that if everything will work out my way, decision
about my preferred tool will be irrelevant
--
-=[     Piotr Ożarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-